Thread: Ethics in Wildlife Photography

Thumbs Up Ethics in Wildlife Photography

This is a good article: http://www.documentary.org/magazine/...d-code-conduct

"As an 11-year old in 1958, I watched the Disney film White Wilderness. We see a cute little bear cub lose its footing on a steep, snow-covered mountainside and fall faster and faster until it's tumbling down totally out of control. It eventually stops falling after banging hard into rocks. The audience laughs because we assume it is totally natural and authentic and it's funny in a slapstick kind of way--at least at first. In fact, it is totally staged top to bottom, including the use of a man-made artificial mountain and captive bear cubs.

When I was a teenager growing up in England, Life Magazine carried a prize-winning sequence of photographs showing a leopard hunting a baboon. It was dramatic and thrilling. The final picture showed the leopard crushing the baboon's skull in its jaws. Later it was shown to be all staged with a captive leopard and a captive and terrified baboon.

When I first got into television in my early 30s, I brought home a film I had just completed to show my wife, Gail. She especially liked a close-up scene of a grizzly bear splashing through a stream and asked me how we were able to record the sound of water dripping off the grizzly's paws. I had to admit that my talented sound guy had filled a basin full of water and recorded the thrashings he made with his hands and elbows. He then matched the video of the bear walking in the stream with the sounds he had recorded. Gail was shocked, offended and outraged--and called me "a big fake" and a "big phony-baloney." I had made a documentary after all, which led her to expect authenticity and truth ..."
    Read Whole Article
    ~ John Koerner

Blog | Equipment | Facebook | Gallery | Products

Another good one for macro>>> http://sgmacro.blogspot.com/p/macro-...hy-ethics.html

"As a macro photographer, one would undoubtedly face the issue of ethics and responsibility in the field. I will explain more about this, as well as my personal views in this page. Hopefully, this will allow more macro photographers to understand the importance of good ethics, and exercise good individual judgement about ethical and responsible behavior in the field. This is a must-read for anyone starting out on nature macro photography.

At some points of time in my macro journey, I have broken many of these guidelines myself and have come to regret them. In fact, many are written here today because of the personal experiences that I have had with them. Even my earlier macro workshops allowed participants to practise on subjects in captivity in the conservatory, which I feel was inappropriately handled. I am learning the importance of these mistakes through the hard way. I hope other macro photographers do not repeat the same mistakes, and learn to make better judgement calls when out in the field ..."
    Read Whole Article

Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    Yes, nice addendum, thank you.
    ~ John Koerner

Blog | Equipment | Facebook | Gallery | Products